Contrary to popular belief pet rats is not pets that you can just keep in a cage and forget about. They are highly intelligent, active, fun and very cute little critters. They enjoy playing with toys with you and on their own. It is also very important to have more than one rat so that they can keep each other company during the day.
- Large rat cage. Make sure the gaps are not too wide, or your rat may decide to go walkabout.
- Water bottle
- Food bowl and snack bowl (so you can separate sweet and savory)
- Bedding (I use old newspapers and shredded paper from work).
- Rat Food – a basic cereal/block which you can then add tasty snacks too, to spice things up.
- Rat Hammock – Rats love to snuggle up in a bright, fleecy hammock. You can make one, or buy one.
- Igloo – Rats must have some place to cover up away when the world gets too much.
- Kong Toy – Just use the ferret Kong toy. Fill it with some yummy rat friendly food, and it is a great way to keep your rat entertained when you are out.
- Rat litter plate – yes rats can be toilet prepared quite effortlessly. You can get a little corner plate to go toward the edge of the enclosure, or just use a shoe box. Put some of your rat’s poop on the tray and place him in there. He will soon get the message. It will make cleaning out a lot easier.
- Chew toys – Rats love to chew, and it is very good for their teeth. You can buy fruit flavored wooden chew toys that rats love.
- Delicious food – Rats love all kinds of food. You can try various fruits, as well as cooked pasta and rice and even eggs.
- Rat Training – You can add variety to your rat’s day by training him for 10 minutes a day. You can teach your rat to come when called, clap and even roll over. All it takes is kindness and patience.
- Rat harness and lead – An interesting idea if your rat wants to see the outside world.
- Love – Yup that is the main thing. Give your rat a whole lot of love, and he will be a very happy ratty.
Will Rats Ever Attack Humans or NOT!?: http://neverpest.com/will-rats-attack-humans/
Rats can be nervous little creatures, so when taming rats a lot of time and patience is needed. They will need time to get used to their new surroundings and you as well. Their noses will twitch, and they will spend time investigating their cage, climbing and clambering around or simply resting in their beds.
It is important to treat your rats to a lovely big rat cage, so that when you are not around, they will still have a lot of space to run around and have a fabulous time. In a perfect world, the cager ought to be accesorized with toys and comfortable hammocks. We also have a lot more information on how to pamper your pet rat.